Monday, August 25, 2008

PCLinuxOS Saves the Day ... Again

Thursday, my daughter’s Dell Inspiron laptop was working fine. She finished as usual, just closing the lid, which puts the laptop in suspend/hibernate mode.

Friday evening, she opened the lid, and got … nothing. It was plugged into power, the indicator light was on, but the screen remained totally blank. She tried moving the mouse, clicking buttons, pressing keys. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Finally, in desperation, she hit the power button.

When she booted it back up, she got the comforting splash screen, then it cleared, and … nothing. Just a little blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

Saturday, she called me and said, “I need help.”

Ramblings of a Professional Computer Geek


2 comments:

  1. Is it just me, or do Dell PCs have a tendency to fail miserably? It seems like everyone I know (of) who has bought one has been sadly disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know. On one of my Linux sites somebody recently posted about a similar problem, when using PCLinuxOS. I used this post to point out that it wasn't PCLOS' fault.

    (OTOH, I have a Dell laptop at work. They have bought Dell almost exclusively for a few years. All seems good so far.)

    ReplyDelete