Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"My God — It's Full Of Stars!"

Last weekend I helped drive a troop of Girl Scouts to a campout over in Iowa. The girls ranged in age from about six to fifteen. We got to the campsite after dark, about 9:00 PM.

While the leaders met with the camp director, to find out where we would be, I stayed back by the cars, to help keep an eye on the girls. One of the older girls got out of her car to stretch her legs. As she stretched, she looked up above the trees.

"Oh. My. God! Look at all the stars!"

She had grown up in the city, and had never seen the night sky in all its glory.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I get the reference! Pick me!

    Kinda sad, but I can believe it. Here in Daytona you're lucky to make out more than a few constellations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when I heard her, that was the first thing that came to my mind. :)

    And, she had never seen the Milky Way, before. But out there, away from all the city lights, on a beautiful, clear night, it was like a shimmering river in the sky.

    Several girls spent quite a bit of time just "oohing and aahing".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kevin, it reminds me of camping out at Gene Schmidt's. Remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed I do remember!

    I actually thought of that as we stood under the night sky, in the south-central Iowa hills....

    ReplyDelete