Sunday, February 19, 2006

Pinewood Derby!

Anyone who has ever been a Cub Scout knows the Pinewood Derby. Kids take a block of wood roughly two inches square, by eight inches long, and carve it into a race car. They race them on a special track. Each Cub Scout Pack has its own Derby, and the winners go onto higher levels. Today, my grandson won his "division" (Bear Cubs) in his Pack's race, so he gets to go on to the District Finals in April. If you ever want to see a thrilled nine-year-old, watch him win a Pinewood Derby.

2 comments:

  1. I got first place in my division my first year (Tiger Cubs?). :smug: I still have the trophy at home. Of course, I did a very small portion of the work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Dylan didn't do a lot, either. We had a special Pack meeting, complete with Power Tools(!) where we did most of the work. I had him draw his idea for the design on the block, then I cut it out on the saber saw, and gave it an initial sanding on the power sander. I had him do finish sanding (by hand), and he planned the paint scheme and applied the base coat for it. FInally, I did some finish painting, added the wheels, and added weights to bring it back up to spec.

    He doesn't really stand a chance at the District Finals. His time down the track was 3.31 seconds, and *everybody* else who won in our pack was in the 3.2s. I think I can guarantee that there's another Bear Cub in the district with a faster car. ;-)

    The most important thing was that he had a good time.

    ReplyDelete